Sunday, November 2, 2008

Evangelism

Recently, I have been having an ongoing conversation with many people about church.  Specifically, how our generation is going to engage church.  We are all about community, conversation, loving others, and hanging out.  We enjoy the informal, more relaxed environment.  We like "where everybody knows your name" from the Cheers show.  We are great at accepting people and being honest. We don't like boxes, judgement, closed mindedness, one way answers, or authority.  
This idea of church being more "organic" and relational really appeals to us.  But the big question that I was recently asked was.... what about outreach,"evangelism"?  What about reaching the lost and bringing people to Jesus, being the only Jesus people will see?? all the cute sayings.....  but really... how will we bring people into our communities? How will we feed the poor, take care of widows? Without the institution organizing events, trips and other opportunities for us?  And here is the real kicker for me... for the most part when those events are planned or opportunities presented we do nothing, we no show.  As much as we love talk about loving people, when it comes time to get off our butts and do something we don't.
Now believe me, I know how to argue with what I just said.... that we would rather love people in our every day lives not at some event, that we can love people and meet needs at school, work, everywhere.... and that's true.  but is that happening?
As we move forward with the "organic" movement, how do we reach people that are living without the things we know that they need, those things that make life so good... love, acceptance, honesty.

5 comments:

  1. As usual, great thoughts Josh. I think that we are absolutely on the right track in our thinking. But, it seems like this "new church" could use a little honing. We're all about hanging out and knowing names, and yet our lives (schedules) don't look communal at all.

    I think that if we started living out what we desire our lives to look like (community) then we could hone our outreach. Until then, tiddly skirmishes will continue to be what we see, instead of expansive outreach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome post. I agree that this is a huge issue in our generation... however I honestly think it's the challenge with every generation. We're willing to talk the talk and receive the good things from the church (advice, community, love) but when it comes to actually following in the footsteps of Jesus and taking his yoke (teachings) upon ourselves... well then we're like "I signed up for heaven and a good home life. I just can't do this other crap." Didn't Jesus say something like this... "Narrow is the path and few find it..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I've been wrestling with this lately too. We have this little community and the connections are great, we're growing and being challenged, but the people I know who are really loving the poor are doing it through organizations.

    This may be encouraging: I've been praying for an organic, relational connection to the poor in my community for a while now (an offhand comment to God here and there). Last night one of my friends met with me and told me he's starting a church based out of the relationships he's been developing with homeless people -- and he asked me to come help out. I feel like there's a chance I might actually be able to give something I'm good at and called to (as opposed to feeling like I should be doing things I'm really ineffective at). All that to say, I suspect if we even begin moving towards these things -- more intensive community, loving the poor, inviting people to connect with Jesus -- without a lot of expectations of how or when, we might find God showing us ways to do them that really fit who we are (as opposed to models that feel constraining). And I"m sure we'll be stretched beyond who we are, but when we're doing it authentically and out of a sense of God acting with us that stretching is much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed of my lack of confidence in your blog.

    ReplyDelete